I sure do love a good bratwurst. It’s always been on the top of my list as far as sausages go. The Wisconsin Beer Brat is no exception.
This bratwurst is more about a preparation style rather than how the bratwurst is made so if you don’t feel like making this sausage you can always run to the store and a pack of high quality brats for this recipe..
The goal here is layering flavor. You could always just use beer and call it a day but there’s so much room for more!! Caramelized onions, bay leaves, caraway seed, and beef stock are just a few ingredients we are going to be adding to the beer to really kick things up a notch.
Follow basic sausage preparation practices when making this sausage.
- Clean and Sanitize all of your equipment.
- Keep your meat and grinder parts super cold (below 34F)
- Any liquid that is added to the mince needs to be ice cold
- Mix your very chilled meat and seasonings till the mince becomes very tacky
- Stuff the mince into sausage casings and prick out any air pockets
- Cook till the internal temperature reaches 155F
Here are a few things you might find useful when making sausage
- High Quality Natural Casings (AA Grade)
- Iodophor Sanitizer
- MK4 Thermapen (Accurate Thermometer)
- Chef Knife – KOTAI
- Boning Knife
- Sausage Pricker
- Iwatani Professional Chef Torch
- Insta Cure #1
- Non Fat Dry Milk Powder
- Meat Grinders
- Meat Mixers
- Sausage Stuffers
- Bella’s Cold Smoke Generator
Enjoy the video and the recipe. If you have any questions feel free to ask away. If you make this at home I’d love to hear about how it came out! Especially if you added you own spin on it!
If you want to see the different things that we use in operation our be sure to check out our new Amazon Store.