Utopenci is a popular Czech sausage typically found in pubs. The name utopenci translates to “Drowned Men” which could originate from the Czech dark humor as to how the little sausages look while in th epickling brine or because the originator of this pickled sausage actually met his end by drowning. Either way this pickled sausage is delicious and easy to make.
The type of sausage that you use is completely up to you. It must be cooked and ideally not to long. Typically a chubby short Polish keilbasa is used but you can use whatever sausage you have to make utopenci.
The preparation of this sausage really comes down to the pickling brine and the types of vegetables that are used. I used carrots, garlic, peppers, and onions but you can customize this however you want. As you can see the recipe allows for lots of creativity so have fun with it..
Here are a few things you might find useful when making sausage
- High Quality Natural Casings (AA Grade)
- Iodophor Sanitizer
- MK4 Thermapen (Accurate Thermometer)
- Chef Knife – KOTAI
- Boning Knife
- Sausage Pricker
- Iwatani Professional Chef Torch
- Insta Cure #1
- Meat Grinders
- Meat Mixers
- Sausage Stuffers
- Bella’s Cold Smoke Generator
Enjoy the video and the recipe. If you have any questions feel free to ask away. If you make this at home I’d love to hear about how it came out!!
If you want to see the different things that we use in operation our be sure to check out our new Amazon Store.
- 12 Short sausages polish sausages are good
- 750 g onions sliced
- 2 fresh peppers pick your spice level
- 250 g Carrots sliced
- 6 garlic cloves
- Mix all the ingredients for the pickling brine together and bring to a boil. Once it comes to a boil and the sugar and salt are dissolved turn the fire off and let the brine cool.
- Slice the sausages lengthwise, slice the onions, carrots and peppers
- In a 1 gallon glass jar being to add the vegetables and sausage in layers. Once finished pour the cooled brine in the jar till everything is covered completely
- Place in your refrigerator covered for 7-14 days
We are Amazon Affiliates which means if you happen to buy something from Amazon after clicking one of our links we get a tiny percentage. This happens at no cost to you and really helps us offset the costs of running this site. Thank you in advance.