Follow these tips when making this sausage.
- Clean and Sanitize all of your equipment.
- Buy fresh pork from your butcher (trichinella free)
- Keep your meat and grinder parts super cold (below 35F) during the grinding process
- Grind on a 10mm plate then again on a 3 or 4 mm plate (rechill between grinds)
- Rehydrate your starter culture (in non-chlorinated water) for 30 minutes prior to use.
- Using a food processor, chop the ground meat and ice keeping the temperature of the meat below 45f
- Once the meat turns into a smooth paste add the starter culture and rum, and continue chopping for 20-30 seconds
- Finally add the seasonings and chop another 15 seconds (just to incorporate)
- Stuff the farce into beef middles and ferment.
- Let the salami ferment for 12-14 hours (these parameters are for Flavor of Italy starter culture)
- Hang the salami to cold smoke for 8 hours
- Refrigerate and enjoy
Here are a few things you might find useful when making this salami
- Iodophor Sanitizer
- MK4 Thermapen (Accurate Thermometer)
- Sausage Pricker
- Accurate Scale for spices
- Accurate scale for meat (up to 33 pounds)
- Flavor of Italy Starter Culture
- Apera pH Meter with Bluetooth
- Insta Cure #1
- Meat Grinders
- Sausage Stuffer
- Stuffing horn cleaner
- InkBird Controllers temp & Humidity
- Dehumidifier Eva Dry 1100
- Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier
- Heavy Duty Kitchen Vacuum Sealer
- Bella’s Cold Smoke Generator
- Custom Cutting Board (Use discount code 2GUYS15 at checkout for a sweet discount)
Enjoy the video and the recipe. If you have any questions feel free to ask away. If you make this at home I’d love to hear about how it came out!!
If you want to see the different things that we use in operation our be sure to check out our new Amazon Store.
The original recipe can be found here: Teewurst (meatsandsausages.com)
- 150 g Lean Beef
- 150 g pork shoulder
- 500 g pork belly
- 200 g pork back fat leaf fat works as well
- 25 g kosher salt
- 2.5 g insta cure #1
- 3 g white pepper
- 1 g table sugar
- 1.5 g dextrose
- 1 g all spice
- 3 ml dark rum
- 100 g crushed ice
- Flavor of Italy Starter Culture re-hydrate 1/4 tsp of starter in 1/8 cup of distilled water for every kilo (2.2 pounds) of meat/fat. Let this rehydrate for 30 minutes
- 40-43mm Beef Rounds
- rinse and soak your natural beef rounds for at least 1-3 hours
- Cut the meat/fat into small strips. Chill before grinding.
- Once chilled grind your meat/fat twice. Once through a 10mm plate then through a 4 or 3 mm plate. Rechill
- Rehydrate the starter culture in some distilled water for 30 minutes prior to use.
- In your food processor (with sharp blades) add the ground meat and chop for 30 seconds. Next add the crushed ice and chop for another 30 seconds. The temperature of your meat should stay below 45f (7c).
- Next add the rehydrated starter culture and rum. Chop another 30 seconds. The farce should look like a smooth meat paste at this time.
- Finally add all of the salt, cure and spices and chop for 15 seconds more.
- Stuff the farce into the beef rounds and tie off.
- Ferment for 12-14 hours at 75f – 85f (24c – 29c) with a 90% humidity then cold smoke for 8 hours, When cold smoking the temperature needs to be between 75f and 90f (24c – 32c)
- After you cold smoke the teewurst check the ph. Your target is between 4.9 and 5.1. Once you hit that target you are finished.
- Refrigerate and enjoy…
We are Amazon Affiliates which means if you happen to buy something from Amazon after clicking one of our links we get a tiny percentage. This happens at no cost to you and really helps us offset the costs of running this site. Thank you in advance.