Follow basic sausage preparation practices when making this sausage.
- Clean and Sanitize all of your equipment.
- Chill your meat to below 30F
- Keep your meat and grinder parts very cold while grinding
- Any liquid that is added needs to be ice cold
- Chop your very chilled meat and seasonings till you create a smooth meat paste (Keep the temp under 40f)
- Add the fat and the non fat dry milk and chop till everything is homogenous (Keep the temp under 50F)
- Stuff the mince into sausage casings and prick out any air pockets
- Cook and enjoy
Here are a few things you might find useful when making sausage
- High Quality Natural Casings (AA Grade)
- Iodophor Sanitizer
- MK4 Thermapen (Accurate Thermometer)
- Kitchen Knives
- Kitchen Boss Immersion Circulator
- Kitchen Boss Vacuum Sealer
- #12 Meat Grinder
- Non Fat Dry Milk Powder
- Meat Mixers
- Sausage Stuffers
- Custom Cutting Board (use discount code 2GUYS15 at check out for 15% off 😁)
Enjoy the video and the recipe. If you have any questions feel free to ask away. If you make this at home I’d love to hear about how it came out!!
If you want to see the different things that we use in operation our be sure to check out our new Amazon Store.
Smoked Turkey Bologna
- 400 g turkey breast meat
- 350 g turkey thigh meat
- 250 g turkey skin
- 16 g kosher salt
- 2.5 g Insta Cure #1 optional if you don't plan on smoking this sausage
- 5 g white pepper
- 4 g smoked paprika
- 4 g garlic powder
- 2 g onion powder
- 150 g ice cold liquid i used roasted turkey stock
- 25 g non fat dry milk Keep this ingredient separate. It will be added at the end.
- Cut the breast meat and the thigh meat into small cubes and partially freeze
- Cut the turkey skin into small pieces as well and freeze. Keep the meat and the skin separate for the time being
- Grind the partially frozen breast meat and thigh meat through a 6 mm plate. Set to the side.
- Grind the frozen turkey skin twice through a 3.5mm plate. Refreeze between grinding. Keep the meat and fat separate and re chill everything before emulsifying.
- In a food processor add the meat along with 1/3 of the ice or ice cold liquid. Chop for 60 seconds. Keep the temperature below 40f (4.4c) during this step.
- After 60 seconds add the spices (do not add the non fat dry milk yet), also add another 1/3 of the ice or ice cold liquid and continue to chop till your meat becomes a smooth batter or paste.
- After meat has been chopped and now resembles a smooth paste add the fat, the rest of the ice or ice cold liquid, and the non fart dry milk. Emulsify in your food processor by chopping for another 60-90 seconds. At this stage you will want to keep the meat's temperature below 55f.
- Stuff into your casings and let rest in the fridge over night.
- Cold Smoke your turkey bologna for 2-4 hours (depending on how smoky you want it to be)
- Cook in a sous vide water bath at 145f (62.7c) for 4 hours – or 1 hour per inch that your bologna is thick.
- After it's cooks, cool it down in an ice water bath and refrigerate overnight. Enjoy
We are Amazon Affiliates which means if you happen to buy something from Amazon after clicking one of our links we get a tiny percentage. This happens at no cost to you and really helps us offset the costs of running this site. Thank you in advance.