Here’s a quick recipe on how to make the delicious Poppy Seed bun, used to make the Chicago Hot Dog!!
Here are a few things you might find useful when making these buns.
Poppy Seed Buns
For the egg wash/poppy seed coating
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tbsp cream
- poppy seed add as much as you want
- Knead all of the dough ingredients together until you form a smooth ball that bounces back when you press on it.
- Cover the dough, and let it rise till it's doubled in size.
- Uncover and divide it into 11 pieces (I use 73g per roll). Shape each piece into a round ball with the palm of your hand and flatten it to about 3" across. Place the buns on a lightly greased baking sheet, loosely cover with greased cling film, and let rise for about 10-15 minutes till it's nice and puffy.
- Form your buns by degassing the balls, flatten them out into a rectangle, then start folding the top of the rectangle onto itself towards you. With your thumbs, tighten each fold by pressing it back. Once your form your roll, you can roll it a few times on the table to make sure it's the right length. Finally pinch the edges and place the roll seam side down on a greased baking sheet. I like to have about 3/4 inch space between each bun so that when they rise, they are slightly touching each other.
- Cover with a greased piece of cling film and let them rise another 45 min to an hour. Once the buns start touch you are good to go.
- With a fork whisk the egg and cream together and brush on the buns. Sprinkle poppy seeds over the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 35 minutes or until till golden brown.
We are Amazon Affiliates which means if you happen to buy something from Amazon after clicking one of our links, we get a tiny percentage. This happens at no cost to you and really helps us offset the costs of running this site. Thank you in advance.