2 Guys & A Cooler Amazon Storefront
Elegant and delicious
How much do you want to make? 1000 grams
- 750 g lean pork
- 150 g back fat
- 100 g blanched cubed back fat
- 20 g kosher salt
- 2.5 g Insta Cure #1
- 30 g potato starch
- 5 g non flavor gelatin
- 2 g white pepper
- .5 g coriander
- 1.5 g garlic powder
- 1 g mace
- ¼ cup red wine
- ¼ cup cold Ice water
- 4 g whole peppercorns
- 25 g pistachios
- 25 g olives
- Dice backfat into small cubes and blanch for 3 minutes
- Grind the lean pork and the fat separately twice. First time through a 6 mm plate, partially refreeze then grind again through a 3 mm plate.
- mix the gelatin with your wine until fully dissolved.
- Mix the salt and the cure in with the ground lean pork and place in your food processor. Chop for 3 minutes adding half the chilled wine. Try to keep the temperature between 35-39F
- After meat has been chopped add the fat and the rest of your seasonings. Emulsify in your food processor. Add the rest of the wine and the ice water while chopping. Chop till the temperature reaches 57F.
- Dust your whole ingredients (blanched fat, pistachios, etc.) with potato starch to help them adhere better to the meat.
- Mix your meat batter with whatever whole ingredients you plan on adding (cubed fat, pistachios, etc.)
- Stuff into your casings and let rest in the fridge over night.
- If you plan on smoking your mortadella then smoke low and slow. Start at 110F and slowly work the temp up to 175F (over a 10 hour period) until the internal temp reaches 150F
- If you plan on poaching then place the mortadella in 176F water and cook till the internal temp reaches 155F.
- After it's cooks cool it down in an ice water bath and refrigerate overnight. Enjoy
We are Amazon Affiliates which means if you happen to buy something from Amazon after clicking one of our links we get a tiny percentage. This happens at no cost to you and really helps us offset the costs of running this site. Thank you in advance.
10 thoughts on “Pepper Crusted Mortadella”
Can I substitute Pork belly for Back Fat?
The Sausage Makers don’t carry the pepper crusted casings anymore. Do you have another source for them?
That’s unfortunate. I’m not sure who else might sell them..
How long will it keep in a vacuum and refrigerated?
If no cure is added it will only be good for 2-3 days. If cure is added it can be good for 7-10 days
I always see pork back fat being used but about fat from beef? Could that be used? I trimmed a whole strip loin and the fat from it seems like it would work.
I love this recipe have made 4 or 5 time now!!
You could use beef fat. Check out my beef mortadella post: https://twoguysandacooler.com/beef-mortadella/
Why is the fat blanched? Is this for food safety or another reason?
It helps preserve the color and allows it to “stick” easier in the sausage