Follow basic smoked sausage preparation practices when making this sausage.
- Clean and Sanitize all of your equipment.
- Keep your meat and grinder parts super cold (below 34F) at all times
- Any liquid that is added to the mince needs to be ice cold
- Mix your very chilled meat and seasonings till the mince becomes very tacky
- Stuff the mince into sausage casings and prick out any air pockets
- Refrigerate your sausage overnight to allow the cure to work
- The next day follow this smoking schedule
-Dry your sausage at 90F – 100 for 1 hour, with your vents wide open
-Increase the temp to 125F for 1 hour and begin to add your favorite smoke
-Increase to 145F for 2 hour
-Increase to 155F for 2 hours
-Increase to 180F till the internal temp reaches 145F
- Once the internal temp has been reached place the sausages in an ice bath to cool down and let them bloom at room temperature for 3-4 hours
- If you don’t have a digital smoker just cook these sausages low and slow so as to not render out the fat.
Here are a few things you might find useful when making a smoked sausage
- High Quality Natural Casings (AA Grade)
- Iodophor Sanitizer
- Knives for processing meat
- MK4 Thermapen (Accurate Thermometer)
- Sausage Pricker
- Iwatani Professional Chef Torch
- Insta Cure #1
- Non Fat Dry Milk Powder
- Meat Grinders
- Meat Mixers
- Sausage Stuffers
- Bella’s Cold Smoke Generator
- Custom Cutting Board (Use discount code 2GUYS15 at checkout for a sweet discount)
Enjoy the video and the recipe. If you have any questions feel free to ask away. If you make this at home I’d love to hear about how it came out!!
If you want to see the different things that we use in operation our be sure to check out our new Amazon Store.
- Clean your meat of any silver skin, sinew, arteries and cut into small strips or cubes. Place the meat and fat in the freezer for an hour or until the temp reaches 32f – 34F.
- Prepare all of your seasonings. Combine the garlic and the wine together and let this soak for several hours. Clean and rehydrate your casings.
- Grind your very chilled meat and fat on a medium plate (6mm)
- Add all of the seasonings and any liquid to your mince meat then mix till it becomes very tacky. If you grab a small handful it will stick to your hand if you hold your hand upside down.
- Stuff your mince meat into the casings, link, and prick out any air pockets. Refrigerate overnight
- The next day dry your sausage out and bring to room temp before smoking. I set my smoker to 100F with the door slightly open for 1 hour. This will dry out the sausage and get it ready for smokingNext raise the temperature to 125F for 1 hour and begin to apply smoke.Raise to 145F for 2 hours, then raise to 155F for 2 hours, then raise to 180F till the internal temp reaches 145F(If you don't have a digital smoker just cook these low and slow so as to not render out the fat)
- Once cooked submerge in ice cold water then allow to bloom for several hours at room temperature. Enjoy!
We are Amazon Affiliates which means if you happen to buy something from Amazon after clicking one of our links we get a tiny percentage. This happens at no cost to you and really helps us offset the costs of running this site. Thank you in advance.