Follow these guidelines when making this sausage.
- Clean and Sanitize all of your equipment.
- Keep your meat and grinder parts super cold (below 34F)
- Any liquid that is added to the mince needs to be ice cold
- Mix your very chilled meat till the mince becomes very tacky
- Stuff the mince into sausage casings and prick out any air pockets
- Refrigerate Overnight
- The next day dry the sausage out for 1 hour. Begin to apply smoke at 125F for 1 hour. Increase the temp to 157F till the internal temperature of the sausage reaches 150F (20-30 minutes)
- After they finish cooking you can either:
1. Refrigerate and eat
2. Place them in a drying chamber (55f or 13C with a 80% humidity) so that they can dry for 5-7 days
Here are a few things you might find useful when making sausage
- High Quality Natural Casings (AA Grade)
- Iodophor Sanitizer
- Knives for processing meat
- MK4 Thermapen (Accurate Thermometer)
- Sausage Pricker
- Iwatani Professional Chef Torch
- Insta Cure #1
- Non Fat Dry Milk Powder
- Meat Grinders
- Meat Mixers
- Sausage Stuffers
- Bella’s Cold Smoke Generator
- Custom Cutting Board (Use discount code 2GUYS15 at checkout for a sweet discount)
If you want to see the different things that we use in operation our be sure to check out our new Amazon Store.
This recipe is from Kabanosy (meatsandsausages.com)
- Cut the meat/fat into small cubes and place in the freezer for an hour or until the temp reaches 32f – 34F.
- Prepare all of your seasonings. Clean and rehydrate your casings
- Grind your very chilled meat and fat on a fine plate (4.5mm)
- Add all of the seasonings and the water to your mince meat then mix till it becomes very tacky. If you grab a small handful it will stick to your hand if you hold your hand upside down.
- Stuff your mince meat into the casings, link into 12 inch sticks, and prick out any air pockets.
- Let the sausages rest in your refrigerator overnight to allow the cure to work.
- The next morning, start by drying your sausage out and bringing them to room temp before smoking. I set my smoker to 100F (37c) with the door slightly open for 1 hour. This will dry out the sausage and get it ready for smokingNext raise the temperature to 125F (51c) for 1 hour and apply smoke.Raise the temperature to 175F (79c) till the internal temp of the sausage reaches 150F(65.5c)
- Once cooked remove from the smoker, cool down in ice water, and enjoy. Keep in the refrigerator for storage
Optional Drying Stage
- After the kabanosy has finished cooking place the cooled sausages in a drying chamber 55f (13c) with 80% humidity for 5-7 days. After a week of drying these meat sticks can now be stored at room temperature. If any mold accumulates on the meat sticks during the drying period simply wipe down with Vinegar.
We are Amazon Affiliates which means if you happen to buy something from Amazon after clicking one of our links we get a tiny percentage. This happens at no cost to you and really helps us offset the costs of running this site. Thank you in advance.