I love a good Italian sausage. This sausage recipe was sent to us by Cuore di Cioccolato (another fellow YouTuber) and I just love it. This sausage is seasoned very simply and packed with flavors from a rich tomato and sweet peperonata sauce.
A great way to enjoy this fresh sausage in on the grill with a touch of light smoke. However you enjoy this sausage remember that sausage freezes great. Just place the sausage in a vac sealed bag and freeze it for later!!
Follow basic sausage preparation practices when making this sausage.
- Clean and Sanitize all of your equipment.
- Keep your meat and grinder parts super cold (below 34F)
- Any liquid that is added to the mince needs to be ice cold
- Mix your very chilled meat and seasonings till the mince becomes very tacky
- Stuff the mince into sausage casings and prick out any air pockets
- Cook till the internal temperature reaches 155F
Here are a few things you might find useful when making sausage
- High Quality Natural Casings (AA Grade)
- Iodophor Sanitizer
- MK4 Thermapen (Accurate Thermometer)
- Chef Knife – KOTAI
- Boning Knife
- Sausage Pricker
- Iwatani Professional Chef Torch
- Insta Cure #1
- Non Fat Dry Milk Powder
- Meat Grinders
- Meat Mixers
- Sausage Stuffers
- Bella’s Cold Smoke Generator
Enjoy the video and the recipe. If you have any questions feel free to ask away. If you make this at home I’d love to hear about how it came out!!
If you want to see the different things that we use in operation our be sure to check out our new Amazon Store.
2 Guys & A Cooler Amazon Storefront
For the Peperonata Sauce
- 150 g yellow bell pepper chopped
- 150 g red bell pepper chopped
- 150 g red onion diced
- 4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 20 each cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt (or to taste)
For the sausage
- 2600 g lean pork meat
- 600 g pork belly
- 65 g kosher salt
- 9 g black pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
For the Peperonata Sauce
- In a sauce pan add the olive oil, onions, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, and salt. Cover and cook on a medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 30 minutes remove the lid and continue cooking till the water has evaporated. Once the water has evaporated remove the peperonata sauce from the heat and allow to cool completely.
For the Sausage
- Clean your meat of any silver skin, sinew, arteries and cut into small strips or cubes. Place in the freezer for an hour or until the temp reaches 32f – 34F.Add your seasonings and any liquid to your mince meat and mix till it becomes very tacky. If you grab a small handful it will stick to your hand if you hold your hand upside down.Stuff your mince meat into the casings, link, and prick out any air pockets.Cook and enjoy.
- Prepare all of your seasonings and clean and rehydrate your casings
- Grind your very chilled meat on a course plate (10mm)
- Add your seasonings, the chilled wine, and the chilled peperonata sauce to your mince meat and mix till it becomes very tacky.
- Stuff your mince meat into the casings, link, and prick out any air pockets.
- Smoke on a BBQ Grill (300F) till the internal temp reaches 150F
We are Amazon Affiliates which means if you happen to buy something from Amazon after clicking one of our links we get a tiny percentage. This happens at no cost to you and really helps us offset the costs of running this site. Thank you in advance.
2 thoughts on “Italian Peperonata Sausage”
Hi Eric, I want to make that recipe and sell it in my butcher. How long does this sausage last on my stand before it gets bad? Thank you.
This is a fresh sausage so unless you add Insta Cure #1 this will only 1ast 1-2 days fresh or 2-3 days cooked in the refrigerator