Frikandel is a Dutch sausage and one of the more popular snack foods in the Netherlands. It’s a skinless, poached, deep fried, mince meat hot dog of sorts and it’s delicious.
Frikandel is usually made with several types of meat. The combination of meat that you choose to use is completely up to you. I personally like the texture that chicken, beef, and pork gives this sausage.
In today’s recipe I use a food processor to make this sausage. If you don’t have a food processor you can mix all of your seasonings/onions/meat together and grind them in your grinder. Remember to make sure that your meat is chilled and your grinder is cold.
This will be processed till it’s a fine mince so if you grind this you’ll want to grind at least twice ending on a fine plate but if you are using a food processor you’ll want to chop this up till it’s a tacky farce (mostly homogeneous)
Once you have your meat mixture ready you’ll want to form it into logs then poach. This will set your frikandel sausage. At this point you can either freeze them for later use or fry them up. If you plan on frying them up you’ll want to slice the frikandel sausage (lengthwise). This will slightly open up during the frying giving you a cavity to fill with ketchup, mayo, and onions. This method of preparation is called a frikandel speciaal. ENJOY!!
Here are a few things you might find useful when making sausage
- Iodophor Sanitizer
- MK4 Thermapen (Accurate Thermometer)
- Chef Knife – KOTAI
- Boning Knife
- Sausage Pricker
- Iwatani Professional Chef Torch
- Potato Starch
- Non Fat Dry Milk Powder
- Meat Grinders
- Meat Mixers
- Sausage Stuffers
- Bella’s Cold Smoke Generator
Enjoy the video and the recipe. If you have any questions feel free to ask away. If you make this at home I’d love to hear about how it came out!!
If you want to see the different things that we use in operation our be sure to check out our new Amazon Store.
2 Guys & A Cooler Amazon Storefront
- 200 g chicken breast
- 400 g pork belly
- 400 g lean beef
- 16 g kosher salt
- 4 g black pepper
- 100 g red onion
- 3 g coriander powder
- 10 g garlic cloves
- 1.5 g nutmeg
- 4 g mustard powder
- 1 g clove
- 50 g bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup sweet soy sauce
- 30 g nonfat dry milk powder
- Clean your meat of any silver skin, sinew, arteries and cut into small cubes. Place the meat and fat in the freezer for an hour or until the temp reaches 32f – 34F.
- Prepare all of your seasonings, rough chop your onion, and garlic
- Add your semi frozen meat and the rest of your ingredients in a food processor. Run your food processor till you have a mostly smooth meat batter.
- Form into logs and wrap in cling film. Poach at 176F for 1 minute for every "mm" that your sausage is wide. For instance if your sausage is 26mm wide then poach for 26 minutes
- After you have finished poaching remove from the water and pat dry. Cut the frikandel about half way down lengthwise. This will open up your sausage while it's frying. Fry the frikandel in 350F oil till warmed through and golden brown.
- Serve with curry ketchup and raw onions. Enjoy
We are Amazon Affiliates which means if you happen to buy something from Amazon after clicking one of our links we get a tiny percentage. This happens at no cost to you and really helps us offset the costs of running this site. Thank you in advance.
2 thoughts on “Frikandel”
we have to try this
done, i used casing removed after poaching.
i m from belgium the recipe is perfect