Chicken and Apple breakfast sausage has to be one of my favorites. It’s delicious, juicy, and loaded with extra goodies.
To make this recipe you’ll want to follow traditional sausage making practices. Keep everything very cold. The meat and the fat needs to be chilled to around 33-35F. This will give your chicken and apple sausage a nice texture.
As a side note if you can’t acquire enough chicken skin to make these sausages you can always use pork back fat as a substitute.
Grinding your meat is very straight forward. I like to grind mine with an LEM #22 Big Bite grinder. This grinder really takes care of business. Regardless of the grinder that you use make sure that the auger and the hopper are both chilled as well. Grind all of your meat and fat together on a 4.5mm or 6mm plate.
Once your meat and fat are ground, place them back in the freezer to keep them chilled. It’s now time to prepare the rest of your ingredients. Saute the onions in some butter and brown sugar, peel and dice the apples, and gather all your spices together.
At this point all you have to do is combine all of your chilled ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix till your mince becomes very sticky and tacky. Chicken sausage is already a wet batter to mix but after 10 or so minutes of mixing you’ll notice the texture change and the mince will start to come together a little easier.
As soon as this happens your sausage is ready to cook, eat, and package the left overs in 1 pound portions. Enjoy!!
Chicken & Apple Breakfast Sausage
- 1376 grams Chicken Thigh Meat boneless skinless
- 303 grams Chicken Breast Meat boneless skinless
- 587 grams Chicken Skin or pork back fat if you want
- 340 grams Granny Smith Apples peeled and diced or grated
- 57 grams Onions diced
- 39 grams Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Apple Juice ice cold
- 46 grams kosher salt
- 2 grams Black Pepper
- 2 grams Dried Rubbed Sage
- 11 grams Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 grams powdered ginger
- 1 gram powdered nutmeg
- 1 grams All Spice powder
- 1 gram powder clove
- 1 cup panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 Egg white for every 5 pounds of meat/fat used
- Optional 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Clean and prepare your meat and fat. Chill it in the freezer till it gets to be almost frozen but not quite.
- Once your meat is chilled (34f -37F) then it’s time to grind it all together. With a 4.5mm or 5mm plate on your grinder, grind together the thigh meat, breast meat, and chicken fat. Once done place back in the freezer to chill a bit more. You want to keep this really cold. (especially if you are mixing by hand)
- Peel and dice the granny smith apples and place them in a bowl with water so they don't oxidize too fast.
- In a skillet with a little butter saute the diced onions and add the brown sugar to them. Cook for about 5 minutes on medium low heat till soft. Remove from the fire and let cool.
- Add the apple juice, the egg white and the rest of your spices to the cooled onion/sugar mix. Stir well to combine and place bowl in the freezer to chill.
- Once everything is chilled add you apples, spice mixture, and bread crumbs to the ground meat mixture. Mix till you can visibly see the texture change and it starts to get real tacky. If this mince sticks to your hand when you hold it upside down then your finished.
- Refrigerate this for 3-4 days or freeze it in 1 pound portions for later use. Have fun!!!