The American breakfast sausage is a great sausage. It’s easy to make and incredibly delicious. This fresh sausage is often seen in 1 pound logs at the grocery store but can also be found in small links.
The one ingredient that really stands out in the American Breakfast Sausage is the sage. This adds a freshness and gives this sausage it’s signature flavor. I personally like adding a touch of maple syrup to this sausage for added sweetness and a nice maple flavor. This of course is optional.
Follow basic sausage preparation practices when making this sausage.
- Clean and Sanitize all of your equipment.
- Keep your meat and grinder parts super cold (below 34F)
- Any liquid that is added to the mince needs to be ice cold
- Mix your very chilled meat and seasonings till the mince becomes very tacky
- Cook till the internal temperature reaches 155F
Here are a few things you might find useful when making sausage
- High Quality Natural Casings (AA Grade)
- Iodophor Sanitizer
- Chef Knife – KOTAI
- MK4 Thermapen (Accurate Thermometer)
- Boning Knife
- Sausage Pricker
- Iwatani Professional Chef Torch
- Non Fat Dry Milk Powder
- Meat Grinders
- Meat Mixers
- Sausage Stuffers
- Bella’s Cold Smoke Generator
Enjoy the video and the recipe. If you have any questions feel free to ask away. If you make this at home I’d love to hear about how it came out!!
If you want to see the different things that we use in operation our be sure to check out our new Amazon Store.
American Breakfast Sausage
If you are making sausage adjust the servings to reflect the total weight of your meat and fat
- 454 g pork butt 70/30
- 7.5 g kosher salt
- 2.8 g black pepper
- 1.5 g paprika
- 2.4 g dried rubbed sage
- 1 g dried rosemary
- .7 g cayenne pepper more or less to taste
- .4 g red pepper flakes more or less to taste
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup optional
- Clean your meat of any silver skin, sinew, arteries and cut into small strips or cubes. Place in the freezer for an hour or until the temp reaches 32f – 34F.
- Prepare all of your seasonings and add it to your chilled meat.
- Grind your very chilled meat on a medium plate
- Mix the meat till it becomes very tacky. (if you are using maple syrup you'll want to add it here) If you grab a small handful it will stick to your hand if you hold your hand upside down.
- Form your meat into patties and cook till the internal temp reaches 155F
We are Amazon Affiliates which means if you happen to buy something from Amazon after clicking one of our links we get a tiny percentage. This happens at no cost to you and really helps us offset the costs of running this site. Thank you in advance.