I love utilizing fresh fruits in sausage. They add a beautiful texture, a nice sweetness, and a great flavor. This breakfast sausage recipe came from Glen over at Glen & Friends Cooking as he utilized some local ingredients to make this delicious breakfast sausage.
This fresh sausage can be made into patties or stuffed into sheep casings and formed into links. Either way it’s up to you.
Follow basic fresh sausage preparation practices when making this sausage.
- Clean and Sanitize all of your equipment.
- Keep your meat and grinder parts super cold (below 34F)
- Any liquid that is added to the mince needs to be ice cold
- Mix your very chilled meat till the mince becomes very tacky
- Stuff the mince into sausage casings and prick out any air pockets
- Cook till the internal temperature reaches 155F
Here are a few things you might find useful when making sausage
- High Quality Natural Casings (AA Grade)
- Iodophor Sanitizer
- MK4 Thermapen (Accurate Thermometer)
- Chef Knife – KOTAI
- Boning Knife
- Sausage Pricker
- Insta Cure #1
- Potato Starch
- Sausage Stuffers
- Meat Grinder
If you want to see the different things that we use in operation our be sure to check out our new Amazon Store.
Apple & Pork Maple Sausage
If you are making sausage adjust the servings to reflect the total weight of your meat and fat
- Cut meat and fat into strips or cubes to fit into your grinder.
- Place the meat in your freezer to firm up for about an hour or till it reaches 32F-34F
- While your meat is chilling get together all of your ingredients, rehydrate and rinse your casings
- Grind your chilled meat on a course plate then mix in the spices, maple syrup, apples, and onions and regrind on a fine plate (make sure your meat is chilled through this entire process)
- Mix your meat mixture well till the mince gets very sticky
- stuff mince meat into sheep casings, link sausage, and prick to remove any air pockets
- Cook over a medium heat till the internal temperature reaches 155. Enjoy
- Freeze whatever you don't cook
We are Amazon Affiliates which means if you happen to buy something from Amazon after clicking one of our links we get a tiny percentage. This happens at no cost to you and really helps us offset the costs of running this site. Thank you in advance.